Money Saving Tips: Save Money on your Energy Bills by Warding off the Vampires
Halloween is over; your decorations have been packed away and your candy supply is rapidly diminishing. But your home is still haunted by vampires, and you pay the price each month in utility charges—Electricity “vampires” account for up to 20% of your energy bill! Here are three simple ways to eliminate vampires (No Stakes Required!):
- Identify the devices that drain power while not in use. The most common types are:
- “Wall Warts” – Devices with large plugs, like cell phone charges, consume energy even when the device to be charged is not attached.
- “Bricks” – Power cords for laptops, televisions and some TV equipment are often joined in the middle by large black boxes. Even when your equipment is turned off, these “Bricks” continue to use energy so long as they are plugged in.
- If possible, replace these items with energy-efficient devices, or unplug them when they are not in use
- Consider purchasing a “Smart” power strip that cuts off power to ancillary devices when the master is off. For example, if your tv is the master and it is turned off, power would be cut off to the cable box and DVD player as well.